- 13 avenue Jean Jaurès
- +33 (0)6 32 33 33 22
Hydrodynamic and sedimentary coastal processes; coastal hazards assessment and management of the risk; analyse of storm inundation and erosion; offshore and coastal ocean circulation; coastal building management; meteorology and marine-forecasts; climatology; continental margin quaternary evolution.
- Nov. 2008 - Nov. 2012
- PhD thesis “Morphological impact of storm surge and (high-) waves on the Mediterranean Coastline” done at the BRGM of Montpellier (the French Geological Survey) and at the University of Perpignan (France), (defended in November 2012 with highest honours).
- 2006 - 2008
- Master in Marine Geosciences, University of Perpignan.
- 2005 - 2006
- Bachelor in Geology, University of Montpellier, France.
- Nov. 2013 - May. 2014
- Research position at Ifremer Martinique (with P. Lazure from Ifremer Brest) : review of works relating to the hydrodynamic marine processes in the French Lesser Antilles. Reanalyses of the existing circulation and wave data or models. Setting up of a project for a regional hydrodynamic platform.
- Jun. 2013
- Oral presentation at the Coastal Dynamics congress, Arcachon, France ("The major control parameters of storm morphological evolution on a microtidal barred beach")
- Apr. 2013
- Participation at the WASH congress (Combined WAve and Sea surface Height impacts at the coast), Toulon, France.
- Nov. 2008 - Sept. 2012
- Participation to the MICORE European framework project -EFP7 (Morphological Impacts and Coastal Risks induced by Extreme storm events).
- Jan. - Jun. 2008
- Research internship (M2 thesis), on the "crescentic nearshore bars morphodynamic, comparison in between microtidal and mesotidal beach environments". (in Univ. of Perpignan and Univ. Bordeaux I). Participation at ECORS-2008 international fieldwork campaign at the Truc-Vert beach (Aquitanian coast, France) and the hydrodynamic campaign over nearshore bars of Leucate (in South France).
- Oceanographic data processing; GIS Map Info (with vertical Mapper), ArcGis and Surfer; Graphic suite Corel Draw; Hypack for bathymetry; some skills in Matlab for the use of ARGUS video system and SWAN wave model.
- Morphodynamic and hydrodynamic instrumentation
- DGPS kinematic; depth sounder; current meters ADV/ADCP/S4; ARGUS stations (timex, timestack...); onboard topo-bathymetric systems (quad, jet-ski ...). Very high resolution seismic surveys (INNOMAR SES 2000 compact type chirp). LIDAR data processing and use.
- Language skills
- French (native speaker); English (spoken, written); and Spanish (easily understood).
- Other professional ability and hobbies
- Climbing teacher; Music (formation at French conservatoire); Passionate by windsurfing and surfing.
Gervais, M., Balouin, Y., Certain, R., 2013. the major control parameters of storm morphological evolution on a microtidal barred beach. In the proceeding book of the Coastal Dynamics, held in Arcachon, France in April 2013.
Gervais, M., Balouin, Y., Certain, R., Stepanian, A., Barusseau, J.P., Berne, S., Belon, R., 2013 (to be submitted soon). Role of the pre-existing morphology in the response of beach and shoreface to storm events.
Gervais, M., Balouin, Y., Belon, R., 2012. Morphological response and coastal dynamics associated with major storm events along the Gulf of Lions Coastline, France. Geomorphology, Volumes 143–144, 15 March 2012, Pages 69-80.
Gervais M., Balouin Y., Thiebot J., Certain R., Belon R., Pedreros R., Robin N., and Berné S., 2011. Morphodynamic evolution of nearshore bars in response to winter storms (Lido de Sète, NW Mediterranean). Journal of Coastal Research, SI 64, 1855-1860.
Aleman, N., Robin, N., Certain, R., Barusseau, J.-P. and Gervais, M., 2013. Net offshore bar migration variability at a regional scale: Inter-site comparison (Languedoc-Roussillon, France). In: Conley, D.C., Masselink, G., Russell, P.E. and O’Hare, T.J. (eds.), Proceedings 12th International Coastal Symposium (Plymouth, England), Journal of Coastal Research, Special Issue No. 65, pp. 1715-1720, ISSN 0749-0208.
Balouin, Y., Tesson, J. and Gervais, M., 2013. Cuspate shoreline relationship with nearshore bar dynamics during storm events – field observations at Sète beach, France. In: Conley, D.C., Masselink, G., Russell, P.E. and O’Hare, T.J. (eds.), Proceedings 12th International Coastal Symposium (Plymouth, England), Journal of Coastal Research, Special Issue No. 65, pp. 440-445, ISSN 0749-0208.
Jimenez, J.A., Ciavola, P., Balouin, Y., Armaroli, C., Bosom, E and Gervais, M., 2009. Geomorphic coastal vulnerability to storms in microtidal fetch-limited environments: Application to NW Mediterranean & N Adriatic Seas. Journal of Coastal Research, S.I. 56, 1641–1645. ISSN 0749-0258.
Parisot, J.P., Capo, S., B. Castelle, S. Bujan, J. Moreau, M. Gervais, A. Réjas, V. Hanquiez, R. Almar, V. Marieu, J. Gaunet, L. Gluard, I. George, A. Nahon, A. Dehouck, R. Certain, P. Barthe, F. Le Gall, P.J. Bernardi, R. Le Roy, R. Pedreros, M. Delattre, J. Brillet and Sénéchal N. 2009. Treatment of topographic and bathymetric data acquired at the Truc-Vert Beach during the ECORS Field Experiment. Journal of Coastal Research, SI 56.
Coastal Dynamics, June 2013, in France (Arcachon); International Coastal Symposium 2011 in Poland (see publication); international congress ECOLAG (Dec. 2009, France, Montpellier); regular MICORE European project meetings (x5); and several French congress (x4).
Have the driving license for car and boat